Friday, October 14, 2022

Day 72: Stage 59: La Giustiniana, 27 km, Sun, 27°

Walking For A Friend



During this walk and others I’ve sometimes received comments asking why I put so much effort into my blog posts. There is the obvious, that over the years it’s replaced my written travel journals (my hand writing hasn’t always been the best), and then there are my parents who enjoy following along. You might have seen their supportive comments and observations. However, this time there was another reason that I felt was a bit more important. During the past several years some good friends have experienced significant health issues from cancer to tumours, or thankfully less life threatening health situations, all of which have prevented them from doing the things they love. Each has been dealing with uncertainty, frustration and the many challenges that come with these difficult situations. Due to the many unknowns around Covid and distance separation it made things even more difficult for everyone. Sometimes all I felt that I could do was to simply stay connected.

A number of these friends love trekking, walking or travel just as much as I do, but they have been unable to pursue their passion as they would have wanted. As I prepared for this walk, and later during the walk, an idea germinated that perhaps I could ‘sort of’ walk for them, sharing my experiences through photos and observations. For sure it’s not the same as doing it, but my hope was that maybe the feelings that occur during a long distance walk would somehow come through via my blogging. The excitement, the new scenery every single day, the different people met, the many humorous situations, the challenges and yes, even the exhaustion that’s just part of the day after day process that we love. I’ve read about how in past times kings, queens and wealthy people often hired or ordered people to walk a Camino for them for a variety of reasons, often so that they could benefit or gain religious favour. That hasn’t obviously been my intent, but hopefully the other things I’ve just mentioned have been revealed through my blogging.  

Just a very short time ago I learned that yet another friend has recently been diagnosed with cancer and began chemo therapy this week. This friend also enjoys walking so I specifically walked for him. Actually, Rob and I walked for this friend, and Rob didn’t even know who we were walking for, but he did it without question.

Ok. It’s late so now I’m going to simply add some photos from the day. 

Update: We are at a Sicilian restaurant tonight that doesn’t open for another 45 minutes. We were told that they are sold out tonight, but when I said we were pilgrims walking to Roma suddenly a table was made available. Is that called playing the pilgrim card? I asked the nice waitress if we could just sit at a table and drink wine until they opened? No problem. We are now sitting with a good bottle of Sicilian red wine, some nice bread and a bowl of pistachios. I love this place! 

I can write a little while we wait. Have you ever seen a cat do this? 

Maybe, but sleeping in such an exposed place?

Coffee! Happy Rob. 

As you can see, we had our usual morning climb. 

What a change from the low cloud and rain we experienced yesterday! 



What’s with all the cats as we close in on Roma? 



We passed through a gate and we were quickly amongst the horses. Saiorse it’s your lucky day! Videos already sent to you in Ireland!

Rob was less interested and kept going🤣 This one was coming for a visit, but Rob gave her the cold shoulder.





Another day and we found ourselves on another movie set getting more than a few funny looks!

Rob says this is me giving him ‘the look’ that says, “are you ready to go yet?”😂. I’m sure I don’t do this. Annemarie?











These very nice markers started to show up today! No graffiti on them like in Spain. But why for just the last few kilometres? Not even one to mark the 100 km point!









Then it was on to a busy highway through the end of the second last stage and another 3 km bite into tomorrow’s stage. We might as well be in Rome for what it’s worth. Traffic is heavy now and we can actually see Roma from our window where we’re staying tonight.

This truck blew Rob’s hat off his head and into traffic. A mad scramble and it was safely jammed back on top of his head! 



It was a bit warm today and we stopped for an ice cold drink before hitting the highway portion. I’ve a bit of highway walking experience so I usually go first and force the cars wide with my poles. 

Then we were into quieter streets. 

Arrived at out our destination. A quasi nunnery that holds retreats and allows outsiders like us two in. Real live nuns in full length black habits too! 

I’d scouted out a small bar where we had a toasted sandwich with a shared beer. Sicilian beer! There’s a theme today. 

It was difficult getting in! But we finally figured it out. 

So after some two and a half months it’s the last stage into Rome tomorrow. Not quite sure how I feel about this, but I guess I’ll find out in the morning. I sort of want to keep on walking, but it’s time to go home and besides my body definitely needs some time to heal and recover. This has been my longest walk so far. 

I already know that it won’t be at all like Santiago or in Japan because comparatively few actually walk into the Vatican each year. In Santiago thousands come in most days during the walking season and everyone hangs out in the plaza watching others come in as well. Endless fun! In St. Peter’s Square most of the people will be tourists and others with interests in Vatican City. It will be a very different experience and I’m glad Rob is here to walk in with me and then celebrate. And celebrate we will!🍷🍷

See you tomorrow…in Roma! I’m actually pretty excited!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Geoff and Rob! You almost made it, it will be a very exiting day tomorrow I assume. Enjoy every step of it and have a nice celebration! Pieter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou my friend❤️L

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have indeed enjoyed your journey, the pictures and comments are very happy that you are almost at the end of your trek. Today was exceptional and we look forward to your celebration tomorrow.love M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your epic journey! Savor every moment as you embark on the final stage. We’re glad that you have someone to share the experience with.
    What will we do when we can’t read your blog each day? It has been the subject of many dinner table conversations that usually started with “Have you read Geoff’s blog today?”, followed by “I can’t believe how many kilometers he walked in that heat!” and often ended with “It’s an amazing adventure, but I/we’re happy to just enjoy it from the comfort of our chairs.” 😊
    Thank you for the hundreds of beautiful pictures, history lessons and musings on life. Wishing you a safe journey home. I remember that you said you’d be home in time to celebrate Avery’s 1st birthday because that’s a big milestone too! Oh, and please bring some rain to the parched west coast when you return. All the best, Sue and Ted

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more sleep! And one more walk.

    You’ve brought so many of us along with you, and I’m grateful for the opportunity to participate online.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  6. A toast to your final stage tomorrow. No doubt you will experience a range of emotions. May the road rise to meet you and the trucks give you a wide berth. N

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck to you both on Saturday. Thanks for the great journey, the pics and the commentaries.
    cheers 🍻

    ReplyDelete
  8. This has been a wonderful trip for me..everyday was so interesting and a history lesson as well..looking forward to tomorrow..as you are..thank you. Carol’s Mum

    ReplyDelete