Thursday, September 1, 2022

Day 29: Stage 24: Aosta, 18.4 kms, hot, 29°

All This Downhill Is Killing My Big Toe!!😂

What more is there really to say about the 5 day crossing of the GSB Pass? Wonderful, challenging, brilliant, peaceful, solitary, stunning? All things I enjoy when walking. I’ve lost my ability to put this experience into further words. Mostly tonight I’ll just post photos as they usually say so much. Besides, I have to cook my dinner, clean up and then follow my poor beleaguered Manchester United though online written commentary as they attempt to make it 3 wins in a row😑 What are the chances? 

I had dinner last night with Kelly who found me in search of a place to eat. As one does on these long walks we talked and lost track of the time. It was a very nice evening of conversation and it was great to have some company. The food was simply amazing! I just stopped for an appreciative minute after the first bite of the crepe. It was the best thing I’ve eaten in a while. 



I think I managed to get all my gear sorted out and crawled into bed at about 11:30. I slept until 5:00 and after reading for a couple of hours I was up, breakfasted and on the trail at 8:15. I elevated my pace as I wanted to be in Aosta to have time to enjoy the old Roman city and to just be disconnected for a time. On some parts of the descent this was tough to do because it was so steep, but I was down just before noon. After shopping, checking into the small apartment I rented (I can cook all my meals) and getting the usual domestic issues done I went wandering. Here’s some photos from the descent from Etrouble. There are also lots of photos in the video at the end of the post. 

These gals were fighting to get into the photo!































I arrived and I was able to get a stamp in my credential at the cathedral. They had to go to a separate room to get it and they seemed pleased to see me. 









The Romans took this strategic area in 25 BC to control the pass. 







The city is walled! Right outside my door. 

And you’re probably wondering about my dinner tonight. I can assure you that it’s not at last night's level.😂 

Seafood risotto! I’m about to eat it and the sample was actually pretty good!

There’s been so much steep downhill the past 2 days that my right big toe decided half way into the walk that then was its moment to complain. No blister or anything like that, just slightly crushed into the toe of my boot. No big deal, but according to my guide I still have 983.6 kms to walk. So if it’s still not happy in the morning I’ll walk the 30.1 (Dennis, I’m not making up these odd distances) lower route verses the 27.8 km up and down route to give things a chance to settle. 

Buon cammini! It’s Italy don’t you know!! 🙂 Have I spelt that correctly Costanza? 

Costanza has corrected me. Thanks! 
Buon Cammino! I’ll never measure up to her Italian! 

4 comments:

  1. You spelled buon right, though! Good job! Hope the toe settles down. Got any cotton balls for padding? Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🤣. I have a bit of tape and stuff, but the Voltern tonight seems to be working. I’ll see how it is tomorrow (Saturday).

      Delete
  2. It’s looking great!Geoff. We just checked in to a hostel in A Coruña which has wifi so a chance to catch up on your blog - wow! We’re off to Ferrol on the bus tomorrow and will start walking Camino Inglés. Happy steps. Neil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a safe Way! A Coruña is very nice. At some point I’ll catch up with you as well. Too bad we are so close on the same continent, yet so far. My love to Sarah. Poitiers next?

    ReplyDelete