Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Stage 6: Gernika - Bilbao, 31 kms*, Cloud, sun 23!

“Chocolate”

Today the story remained all about the mud. Everyone was talking about it. We met a Spanish peregrino from Pamplona named Gustov who told us that the name they give to this type of mud is chocolate because it’s thick like the hot chocolate they make here. And that stuff is thick!

We were up in decent time this morning as it’s a long way into Bilbao with the mud and the climbs. Who is that guy? The sun? 

Early on the clouds were pretty low, but slowly things began to lift as we climbed. We live in hope that eventually the sun will shine, but I’ve been keeping a glass half full outlook as I know this is my only chance to really walk some distance this year. So I’m still pretty excited and I take the mud as I find it and usually just laugh as I plow on ahead, boot sucking sounds and all! The other options don’t appeal, and lots of folks are falling in the mud, so at least I haven’t done that...yet.





Deep chocolate.

And just when I start to wonder if it will get any worse, I’m quite often delighted when some small detail catches my eye and gives me a moment of pleasure. This branch of Wild Rose was just hanging out into the path. In perfect bloom.
The clouds continued to lift and with it our combined spirits. Would the sun come out? Would we finally get to wear our sunglasses? Could I pull off my sleeves? 



The yellow arrows are pretty tastefully applied to object here to keep us moving in the right direction. I guess there’s no immediate plans to move this old car.

We stopped for a late morning snack with many of our peregrino companions. I guess that generally speaking we are amount the oldies in the group, but in true Camino spirit we have been warmly received. One of the special elements of a Camino, and we have been blessed to meet some very nice folks this first week. 

This is Gustov from Pamplona.  He injured his ankle as we descending a steep and really nasty muddy slope. Honestly, there’s no excuse to let a trail get in such poor condition. His fall ended his day and he decided to stop early and hope that the injury settles down over night. The very odd thing was that he scrubbed his boots and lower legs with his boots still on! I’ve never witnessed this before and I must say, it was intriguing to watch. He then took off his boots and proceeded to wash the insides as well! I was shocked. How are his boots going to be dry in the morning was my initial thought? I hope that he recovers and that we cross patches again. Nice guy and we were each helping the other with our equally poor language skills. Mine were probably worse than his! 

Annemarie had earlier decided to make the last 8-9 km jump into Bilbao by bus and leave me free to walk in solo. However, as we approached the last point where we could catch a bus, I decided that I’d rather not risk a mud based injury at the end of a long day and I decided to join Annemarie on the local bus.we have tomorrow to explore the city, but I’ve wanted to see this town for a very long time and decided the opportunity for a few extra hours was worth missing a few kilometres. 

This is a very livable city. Annemarie found us a deal at The Bilbao Carlton on the right. Well actually we wished we’d been able to stay there, but we have a really nice little place out in a city neighbourhood within walking distance to town. Hey, what’s not within walking distance when one’s on Camino? The bed feels super comfortable, the shower is excellent and we back onto a school yard, so no night noises.

We are going to wander the town tomorrow and I’ll see if there’s something here worth blogging about. I bet there is! We also hope that in the coming days that we will be able to reconnect with the group of folks we have been with this past week as we all head out of Bilbao. 

Hey Ariel, I’m already planning where I’ll be to watch the Champions League final. Just a couple of days!! 




2 comments:

  1. I love the photo of the rose hanging over the path. Quite a contrast to the mud!

    Washing the inside of one's boots--hmmm. You'd think they'd be wet for days. Maybe that helps with the smell?

    How is Annemarie finding the Dirty Girls? The velcro keeps pulling off my Salomons, even when I epoxy it on. I have to find a better way. They'd be useful in the mud, a way of keeping one's socks clean(ish).

    Enjoy Bilbao! Are you taking a day there to see the big art gallery? Are you going to ride the subway to the other side of the city?

    ¡Buen Camino!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great photos today, Geoff - the perfect little rose, the old car with the arrow, happy horses, and the weather does look like it's lifting. Those final Bilbao shots are like post cards - not a cloud in the sky!! It sounds like you'll be able to get everything washed and dry tonight. I've heard there's some pretty amazing stuff to see in Bilbao so enjoy your day tomorrow. Glad you've made some nice connections. No doubt you'll see them again, it seems to be the camino way.

    ¡Buen camino!
    Neil and Sarah

    ReplyDelete