Friday, May 24, 2019

San Sebastián: Cloud, Wind, Bit of Rain, 16

A Blog Post For Kathy

Dear Kathy, 

In 1974 you and Marian headed off to travel Europe for 4 months with just your backpacks, sleepbags, your thumbs  and a sense of adventure. I remember it like it was just yesterday. The next year you and I headed off in much the same manner for another 3 months except I also carried a tent,  a small stove and a couple of pots and pans as I ended up staying on a few more months after you returned home. You intially taught me the ropes about how to travel on the cheap with just one’s wits and a  thumb to hook a ride. Cell phones, internet and Mr Google and Trip Advisor remained well in the distance at that time requiring us to actually figure things out on the fly and to ask lots of questions (there was no Google translate). Our tavels together taught me the core skills that I’ve used while on the road my entire life and with them came the confidence to overcome my own doubts and to just go do it. And look Sis, I’m still doing it all these years later and loving it more than ever. Independent travel...I only just bought a cell phone 8 months ago!

While we were on the road one day, literally, trying to thumb a ride to somewhere, you told me about this most beautiful city on the north coast of Spain called San Sebastián and how I should try to find my way there some day. It took a while, but Kathy, I finally made it! Just 44 years later. Not very long geologically speaking, but more than a blink of the eye in the journey we humans undertake. And I (we) reached here by staying basically true to the travel style we lived by all those years ago. I have my pack, I’m traveling on the cheap and I still retain a few wits to get by on. I have a new friend on the road with me now, but I know you love her and approve. Instead of hitching rides to get here, I’ve moved on to walking. It’s safer these days than putting one’s thumb out. I know you approve.

Today’s post is dedicated to you, and I’m hoping that some of the photos that I’m posting will trigger some memories for you. Sadly the weather wasn’t the sun and warm breezes that I was hoping to show you, but it’s still much the same city you visited in 1974. Enjoy sister!

Love you,
Geoff


City hall.




Playa de la Concha, the long very famous strand.





Iglesia de Santa Maria.



Old town streets.



Places to step in, get warm, enjoy a pincho and a glass of vino tinto. Yum!






We wish you were with us again this year, but at least you are here in spirit and can follow our adventures. 



4 comments:

  1. Dear Geoff, thank you so much for your tribute blog. It does bring back some memories I can enjoy again. I am happy you made it there, well worth the trip.
    Love Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post.

    ¡Buen Camino!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. A special connection - the gift of place, family and the adventure of life.

    Buen camino

    Neil and Sarah

    ReplyDelete