Saturday, March 11, 2017

Off to Japan! (almost)

"It's a dangerous business Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."
       - Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

And so it begins. Mentally and physically prepared as possible, gear ready and everything done that can be done we fly off to Japan this Wednesday to start a special journey. Given the novelty of the experience that awaits, we are feeling a little like we did in September 2013 when we set off on our first Camino. Much wonder, a touch of anxiety, but with full hearts and overwhelming excitement!

Our first two weeks will be spent touring southern Japan before arriving on Shikuko Island March 28th. We plan to begin the 88 Temple Ohenro on March 30th local time. If the Blogger gods are cooperating, we expect to start posting reports soon after arriving in Japan.

This photo is a little something I noticed in an Indonesian temple during our travels in early 2015. It seems an appropriate thought before walking a Buddhist pilgrimage.


I'll try to keep this in mind...though admittedly my thoughts tend to wander when I walk. I guess that's why one of the items we are supposed to acquire at Temple 1 is a meditation bell. Apparently the constant ring with each step is designed to help the Henro to stay in the moment...and I've read that it also serves to alert the wild boar. Hmmm, I wonder if the bell helps them to locate you, or if they'll simply run away?! I guess we'll discover how that all works. Happily I'll have some electrical tape with me to mute the bell if I tire of being too much 'in the moment'!! :)

Lastly, I've not yet figured out what the Japanese say in place of Buen Camino or Bon Chemin, but I'm sure we will soon figure it out...perhaps Buen Ohenro?

This is sure to be endless fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment