Saturday, March 18, 2017

Day 2 Touring: Tokyo, Sunny, pleasant 15

Japan has fascinated me since I was a young fellow and lost myself in James Clavell's Shogun. For a time I read Japanese history and the Shogunate period endlessly. The concept of the Samaria easy captivating my imagination and I'm sure this theme will resurface a number of times as I travel this journey. Just two days in Japan and I'm already beginning to see some of this history in the people and my surroundings. I'm discovering for myself that Japan is a country locked in the traditions of the past yet operating in the present era. 

As we set out earlish this morning on foot, direction generally towards Asakusa, the city was just waking, and while cool it was already pleasant. The sun was up and one just knew that this was going to be a good day. We were generally trying to see if we could find our way to Sensoji Temple without getting lost. We managed to find a breakfast set on the way that was a considerable improvement over yesterday's effort...we continue to learn. Approaching the temple we heard the sounds of drums. You know, those cool loud drums the Japanese drummers tour the world playing (Erin and Seth took me to see a performance last year in California) with deep resonating tones. 
 
We arrived to find a massive Buddhist ceremony just getting underway outside the main temple, apparently an annual celebration. 
 
We couldn't believe our luck! I climbed up on something and took a series of photos and video. It was amazingly colourful and in many ways quite similar to the pagents and processions I've been fortunate to witness from time to time while in Spain. 
 
 
 
The procession moved off through the extensive temple grounds and the mass of humanity there to witness the event headed for the temple, and we followed trying not to stand out too much. I suspect this will become easier when we arrive on Shikoku and shed our cocoons and become Henro! 
 
 
 
 
Thinking things were settling down and wanting to move on we began to walk through the grounds towards the river only to notice people shaking metal cylinders. I thought these might be fortune sticks and sure enough they were. We walked over to watch the fun and the locals encouraged us to try our luck. So we did! 
 
The process is that you first make your wish then shake the cylinder until a long stick with a number slips out a small hole. You then match up your number (Japanese characters so a bit of a challenge to sort all that out) and you go to the appropriate drawer and pull out a sheet of paper with your fortune written on the front and back. Very scientific! If you get a good fortune then you keep the slip. If not, then you tie the piece of paper to a string board and the gods apparently take away your bad fortune. I'm thinking that you can't really loose. Annemarie went first and scored a Good Fortune and all was well. I then stepped up... 
and scored The Best Fortune. Wow! Jackpot! It stated, Your gem has no flaw and it will glisten better when you polish. Good character by nature becomes much better when you polish yourself. You become wealthy and you may have a repeated stroke of good luck. Your hope will come true. The patient will be sure to recover. The lost thing is late to be found. Building a new house and removal are both good. It is good for you making a trip. Both marriage and employment are good.  In other words, a catch all, just in case:). Certainly lots to think about on my Ohenro! All good fun. 

We wandered the extensive site visiting the smaller shrines. We noticed that many women and men were dressed in traditional costume. Very colourful and beautiful.
 
And yes Neil, the men were also wearing flip flops with socks. You and I have had a number of discussions about this fashion faux pas in our respective countries while enjoying a beer or two after a long day on the trail. Well I'm forced to report that this seems ok in Japan. Go figure:). If you give it a go, I might as well. Or, I might not!

As we once again tried to set off we noticed another procession gathering. Being in no particular hurry we decided to see what was going to happen next. Not at all disappointed, we were actually delighted! Turns out it was also the Golden Dragon festival today. We couldn't get much more luck today if we'd tried! 
 
They were gathering then off they went, Dragon and musical entourage. There was mayhem! 
 
 
It's considered good luck to touch the dragon head! When I was videoing the ceremony, it almost bit my head off!  The women playing their instruments in the following hand drawn wagon were excellent!
 
Eventually we escaped to higher ground for a good look back. 
 
 
We decided to continue our walk and headed off along the river. 
We sort of looked across at the tower and decided that this might be a good destination before turning around. The tower is the Tokyo Skytree Tower and was just completed 5 years ago. It's the highest tower in the world with our own CN Tower in Toronto now number 3. This thing is huge! 
At 638m or 2,080' it's sooooo high! But even hieght challenged me wanted to go up. Amazing views! On a clear day Mount Fuji looks very close, but the distance was hazy so we contented ourselves with stunning views of Tokyo.  
 
 
As you can see, there are lots of low level buildings, but at the same time, I have been stunned by all the high buildings. Having earlier studied the earthquake history in this area in some detail and after looking at many pictures of the buildings resting on their sides from liquefaction after a 1960's quake I must say I am surprised. I guess the building techniques have come a long way, but I was happy to get back on hard ground again!! I couldn't help wondering how the tower would handle a large event. Anyway, we navigated the metro down to the Gonzalez shopping district, saw all the big stores and spent an hour in what must be the most amazing camera and tech store on the planet! Wow! I have to come back here...without my credit card! Good thing I can't buy much now...there's a walk ahead and it's all about a light pack. However, I do have to come back here to fly home:)

A long post today. So much happened, but now it's time to head out again into the night to find some dinner and look at the lights. Perhaps it's possible from this post to see what's old and what's new in Tokyo. It will be interesting to observe more of this over the next couple of months.  
Nope, not a mirror distortion. 
 
I'm thinking that we tea drinkers need something like this at home!

3 comments:

  1. What a great day! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    I hope your fortune turns out to describe your walk!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Geoff and Annemarie

    We've caught up on your photos and it looks like you are getting in the zone. Wow, jackpot today in every way! Amazing scenes of people and city, what a place. Socks and flip flops (or thongs we call them here in Oz...I know!!!) - well, when in Rome (or Tokyo as the case may be) ... I do want to see a picture of you doing it though. C'mon, you know you want to!! Good to see you both again and clearly you're having fun. No doubt there is much more to come. Best from us both, Neil and Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Guys! Welcome back to the bloooog. We call them thongs too. I thought you used the other term. It is an amazing place, though it can be overwhelming at times with all the humanity! The population of greater Tokyo is more than the entire population of Canada! A neat city, but massive. Thanks for coming along!

      Delete