Sunday, August 21, 2016

Stage 1: Leon to Hospital de Orbigo, 30kms, Sun and Heat, 28

Faster Than A Speeding Train!

Finally! Back on Camino and a very familiar welcome greeted us as we walked out of Virgen del Camino early this morning...
And of course I'll begin this post with the sunrise...


I had just the biggest smile on my face as we walked out in the dark this morning. A quite emotional moment actually. I checked in on Rob and he was looking pretty stoic, but I'm pretty sure his emotions were just below the surface...uh-huh. Of course he had to tolerate a Camino tradition, almost a rite of passage.
However, before I continue a couple of photos from last night. We had a great dinner complete with postres at the end...Annemarie, you would like this...perhaps not because of course we ate them!
We then went for a long, late walk and the town was hopping! Hey Paul, you told me that one can find an Irish bar just about anywhere...you were right!
Then into Plaza Mayor where I hadn't been previously and we found a group of musicians playing. If you've ever followed this blog, you might remember that these fellows are a bit special in Europe. If I get a chance later on this trip I'll tell you a little more about these lads.
And quite late we arrived back at our humble, but quite nice abode. 
So back to today. When I planned this Camino I wanted to provide Rob with a wide selection of experiences over his two week walk. I felt it important that he experience a little of the Meseta. By leaving from Leon he'd have a day and a half to understand what this part of the journey is all about before we hit the mountains. It's a favorite part of Spain for me where one can walk long soulful days with time to reflect or just let go.

As we wandered along, completely by ourselves I might add, we could hear the thunder of guns from all sides as the farmers went into the fields to try and obliterate whatever game they could find. After all it is Sunday, a day when traditionally most smart animals don't venture out!  

I want to make it very clear that while I tried to stop for a coffee break on three different occasions, this proved very difficult on a Sunday morning as all the bars were closed. First in Chozas...
And then later in Villar where a favorite grocery was closed. 
So we sat and ate bananas on the bench...thus lightening our burdens considerably! Bananas are great walking food, but they sure are heavy! However, we finally had success at Vilavante where a bar was open and waiting for us, complete with more Aquarius! We enjoyed our break while chatting with a lovely young lady from Dresden, Germany and of course four Italian guys...lots of Italians walk Camino in the summer heat. Our German friend had two injured Achilles and understanding what this would mean, we discussed various treatments. She will leave the Camino in Ponferrada as she has managed to walk just short daily distances with plenty of pain killers and Volterin to ease some of the pain.

We continued on and the sights we did see!!
Cooked boots! Done and done!

And of course the scenery was its usual self...spectacular!

Lots of greenery at this time of year and even a few flowers along the way. Not spring-like, but not burnt out fall either as we experienced along here in 2013. 
This one is for you sunshine girl...you know who you are! Nice message today...you choked me up a bit...thanks for that.
And of course a selfie so my mom can see that I'm ok.
The route is a bit longer than last time because they have changed up the trail at Villavante forcing you through town (hey, there's a bar they want supported) and a long way around the train tracks which we previously just walked across.

Then before you know it (well, not quite) you walk into Hospital and you are faced with crossing a most stunning bridge! I know, I know...Neil and Sarah you have waited patiently through out this post.
Lots of stork nests, but so far no storks. I fear they have flown the coop! 
We've had great cold as ice showers, a bite of lunch and a cana of beer. I've finished the blog and Rob has finally woken up from his nap...out like a light! He did great today...no fear.
Now off to wander town and to see the sights...all two of them, and we've already seen one of them!

Buen Camino!

PS. The title of today's blog had nothing to do with we two peregrinos. It was the train that flew by us at the point we previously used to walk across the tracks. Probably a good idea that they changed things...hmmmm

8 comments:

  1. Hi Geoff and Rob. Wow - you guys are really moving! Just shows what happens when you have fresh legs! We're very impressed you got as far as Hospital de Orbigo on this first day - and looks as though you got there in good time, as well. We had a picture of me walking on those railway tracks, so know exactly where you're talking about - and just as well no bullet trains that day. Thank you for the bridge - the first (and longest) of the trip - yes, we love that one too. We're just about to head off on our short week-day training walk around the lake - another frosty morning, in wintry Canberra, so it's lovely to see the sun and summer light in your photos. We'll be interested to see where you get to tonight - we imagine you'll push through Astorga and try to get close to Cruz de Ferro? Wherever you get to, we hope you have a great day.

    PS. watch that railway bridge heading into Astorga!

    Buen camino,
    Neil and Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very soon...so soon you will find the sun over here. Trying to go to sleep with dogs barking outside my window and the crickets kicking up a storm! Guess it's time for my earplugs.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a great day of walking. The meseta resembles Saskatchewan so much--the long straight roads, the fields--except the coffee is better in Spain (when the bars are open, that is). And the vino is cheaper. Etc. ¡Buen camino!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The verification images for my comment included a road sign pointing the way to Ourense. How odd!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lis and Ariel LouwrierAugust 22, 2016 at 7:49 AM

    So you have kicked off and has the EPL. We're just back from Parksville, Ben is a year older, and Matthew sailing around the island. Liverpool off to it's old tricks, beating the bid teams and falling prey to the newly ascended Burnley. One might say there's comfort in the typical. MU seems off to a flying start which is really too bad, as are the other big boys. Sigh.... Same old..... Happy strides! Best regards, Ariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous photos chaps! I like the scenery but I am learning that I may have to take a long siesta on a Sunday when I get there if I can not find coffee.....Enjoy--how fun to follow the adventures.--From the Louwrier gang

      Delete
    2. Yes, I saw that there have been a few surprises. Arsenal out of the top 4 as per my year end prediction...early days yet. Repeat after me..."go United go!" I'm sure Ben can coach you on this...

      Delete