Sunday, June 12, 2016

Day 2: Decourcy Island - Cabin Bay, Wallace Island, 17, wind 15 knots, 12 nautical miles

Calm to Breezy!

Before beginning our paddle today I thought I'd post a few photos illustrating just how bad it's been here so far.

I know, it sucks huh?

Today we were up fairly early, 6:30, and after a good breakfast we packed up the kayaks and headed off on very calm, glass like water. 

It was very pleasant as we paddled along Ruxton Island watching the Blue Herons and enjoying the quiet of the morning.
Rob has come to appreciate, after a few hints, that I enjoy seeing the various feathered life along the way. So he politely stopped paddling while I snapped a photo or two. Today was a good day for feather friend sightings. I missed what would have been the shot of the week  when a huge Bald Eagle swooped in from behind Rob and up into a tree. I had just put my camera away. Such is life. But there were others today.

The water amazingly continued to be like glass...quite unusual for June.
We took a break at Blackberry Point and it was pretty nice.

We could have camped here for the night, and I think we were temped to do so, but it was too early and we decided to press on. 


We paddled along Vadez island and then as we came to Poitier Pass we could feel the cold air and wind blowing in off Georgia Straight. With the tide now ebbing against the wind the waves began to build and soon there were white caps as we crossed to Hall Island. What a change! But it was fun too! I put my camera into the dry bag for the crossing and put my head down and simply paddled. Rob has been very generous the first two days teaching me the finer points of kayaking, and I've learned so much. He tells me that my efficiency has improved lots and that on day three it will all click. I hope so. Looking forward to that! 

Next photo is Wallace Island as we approached and it was finally stable enough and dry enough to,pull out my non-waterproof camera.
Then we were into our little bay at 2:30 and both of us very hungry for a nice lunch before any setup.
It was grand!

The camp is set up and we've had a good 8km walk and seen the sights and dinner is well underway. Will see if I have enough signal to post. Thanks Neil for your comments and I hope Queensland, small town is a good experience. Ken I can read your comments and I'm very excited for your walk. I'll be reading today's post shortly if I can get wifi network. 

Tomorrow we will likely have rain and lots of wind so will cross to Galiano Island early while the winds are down and try to make it to Montague Harbour where we plan to camp for two nights. There's a pub over there with wifi and hot food. Enough said. Dad you would really enjoy being at Wallace Island today. Only two boats tied up and it looks pretty cozy in the little bay. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Geoff

    This sounds like a great experience and another delightful day on the water. It sounds and looks like a very beautiful part of the world that you are paddling through. Pity you missed that shot of the eagle but they seem to be following you so hopefully you will get some more opportunities for fine shots.

    Enjoy the evening and the paddle tomorrow. I head back to Canberra tomorrow too. The maximum temperature will drop 15 degrees Celsius and it will get dark an hour earlier. It's been a good experience up here and it will be good to get home.

    Stay dry

    Neil

    ReplyDelete