Saturday, June 11, 2016

Day 1: Nanaimo - Dacourcy Island, 5 hours paddling, grey, cool, 16., 12 nat miles

A Small Handicap!

I know this is a walking blog, but sometimes we have to adapt, and as its my blog I've decided to adapt it for the next week. So sue me!  

My pal Rob and I have been planning this 8 day kayak trip through the BC Gulf Islands for the past many months alternatively discussing this journey while walking in preparation for our August Camino in Spain. A nice thing about walking is the time it permits to discuss many things, and this trip slotted in very nicely. It all came about quite innocently. After Rob invited himself on the first two weeks of my 2016 Camino he offered to take me kayaking. A very generous offer to be sure. Something i must say I'd been open to for quite a few yesrs. I've learned that things happen in their own time, but this was unexpected which makes it all the better!! Our agreement was that I would tend to the Camino preparations and Rob would do the same for the kayak trip. We each have something of an interest and specialty in our personal passion so this decision just made sense. Rob is tremendously experienced in all things kayaking having traveled down the west coast of BC, around Vancouver Island and most of the way around Hidaquii, often alone, sometimes joined by friends for a stage or two. So clearly I'm in good hands. 

Yesterday we drove north to Nanaimo where Rob's good friend Lyal put us up for the night, fed up and helped us to launch this morning. 
A very knowledgable and experienced kayaker as well who lives in his native Nanaimo half the year and spends his winters in Hawaii where his spouse lives. Almost a perfect life, splitting residences between two lovely places and never hanging around for winter. Are you reading this Annemarie?
We finally got loaded up and launched at 8am paddling out into the the waters between Newcastle Island and Vancouver Island. Somewhat industrial with the forest mill and waterfront.

Once past the mill and the Duke Point ferry terminal we left the clutter behind and said a brief farewell to Lyal and headed south passing numerous log booms and boom boats along the way.
Also had the pleasure of some close encounters with a couple of Eagles.
They really checked me out!!
We passed by Dodds Narrows as the current and large pleasure boats were running through to quickly. This was ok as we found some very pleasant paddling along the way.
Pretty nice...
Some hours later we stopped for our first night and set up camp. A nice lunch and a cold beer which was forced upon us when one of mine somehow sprung a leak...you can't just leave them when that happens! They don't hold up to well, so one is forced to put it out of its misery. I now sit writing while Rob sleeps. Go figure! You'd think that he actually had the load of the the gear in his boat today! Which brings me to today's subject...handicap. The theory is that a longer kayak goes faster than a shorter kayak because of the longer length of the waterline. Rob uses this theory together with a thinish excuse about the resin smell from his brand new kayak to load my longer boat with pretty much all the gear. Really! He then yammers on about my size and strength verses his and his unusually short boat to explain why I'd typically move faster...still thinking this load through? Then to make sure that I'll move even slower he provides me with a paddle designed for someone half my height! So picture this...I have over 300 lbs of gear in my boat and I'm pretty sure his boat has under 100 lbs of stuff plus I have a really inefficient paddle. And he wonders why I'm going so slow in the faster, longer boat!? Amazing. Truly handicapped.


Oh well, maybe we'll eat too much and drink even more tonight and my boat will be lighter tomorrow...

Oh, and one other thing...as you can see we saw these amazing Eagles today, an otter, blue herons and all sorts of other critters. As I'm taking a photo there is a huge splash beside me and it's a seal or sea lion. I ask Rob if he saw it and I just get this grunt, hmmm.  Rob's clearly been on the water far too long!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Geoff

    I lucked out by logging on to your blog tonight. It's great to read of the first day of your adventure on a water camino. Rob sounds like he arranged things really well with the gear. I guess you can pay back the compliment on the camino in Spain - perhaps he can carry the beer!!

    I'm in Mount Isa in far west Queensland, it's about as far removed from where you are as you could get - a desert mining town. I'm doing some teaching with a group of women from the local Catholic church and guess what we watched tonight - The Way!! So, even though it's about the 9th time I've seen the movie I am inspired all over again. The great thing is we'll all be out there walking on the camino Portuguese in less than three months.

    Anyway, that's for later. Enjoy each day of this amazing kayak trip. I'll certainly look forward to riding and seeing more if you are able to post. Stay dry and watch those sea lions!!

    Cheers, Neil

    ReplyDelete