Wednesday, February 11, 2015

When my camera was charging


Geoff is the photographer in the family...I take many fewer pictures with my thrifty side  choosing to believe I save my attempts for only the things worth recording - although with digital photography that doesn't make much sense. I headed out for a walk along the river sans camera, only to find that this time I missed it sorely. The walk went from the aptly named Sportsman's Lodge where we're staying in Turangi. The walk meanders along the Turangi river, crosses a suspension bridge, then on the opposite side climbs a bluff that allows for views of the whole area, ending with a steep switchback filled descent into town. It was a wonderful place to walk, reflect, and sort through a few things...and I learned that there has been some controversy about the plan to dam the river in 1965; there's a weeping cherry tree and a plaque explaining it all. If I had had my camera I would have had some amazing flowers (including a wild lilac), the weeping cheery tree, pictures of locals bathing in the river, a quick snap from the suspension bridge (it would have been blurry because it did bounce), a picture of our lodgings from the bluff, and pictures of the local kids jumping off the bridge at the entrance to the town. Since I didn't have my camera, I'll just have to keep these images in my mind's eye, as I have done with many others in my various journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment