Thursday, May 9, 2013

Thoughts on Inner - and Outer - Journeys

When Geoff set up this blog, he clearly stated that he expected it would be a joint undertaking; unlike High Endeavors where I have only posted once or twice as a guest. So I guess suggesting I have “more expertise” in relation to the inner journey is his way of getting me to participate. I don’t think I can claim any knowledge at all...we haven’t walked our Camino yet. Despite that, and true to character, I’m willing to give it a shot.

These are some of the things I’ve heard or read...
  •  You don’t walk the Camino, it walks you
  •  The Camino provides you with what you need
  •  You can’t really prepare for the Camino
  •  people are “called” to the Camino
...and on it goes.

A journey of this nature does require a lot of preparation - and the preparation in terms of clothing, gear, understanding the terrain, learning the language, etc. is all essential to increase our chances of successfully making it through the 800 kilometers. Any significant life experience (SLE) - and I think this qualifies as an SLE - will also bring with it an emotional and/or spiritual connection. We find this when we travel, push our boundaries, etc. What makes the Camino different, I think - and have heard from those who have completed this journey - is that many people take this walk in the hopes of gaining some insight that they can’t otherwise find, but many are still unprepared for what they gain on a spiritual level. I think it’s fair to expect that we will in some way be changed when you layer...

  •  an experience that will push most people’s physical boundaries,
  •  a minimalist lifestyle
  •  an opportunity to have long discussions with others who are on a quest of some sort
  •  a path that has historical and religious significance
  •  possible monotony bringing time for reflection
... Hopefully our physical appearance will change for the better and most of us also hope that the Camino will have an internal impact as well. To enable this to happen requires some preparation as well. It requires building an openness to the experiences as they happen, it requires some recognition of when our ego interferes or imposes some form of judgement, and it requires some level of self awareness. One thing we hear repeatedly is that each person’s Camino experience is their own, and that this is sometimes difficult when undertaking this journey as a couple. This, I think, also requires some significant preparation for both of us. We will, I’m sure, learn a lot more about this side of the experience as we go - and it really is this part of it that draws me the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment