Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Dad is Still Showing Me Stuff!

While breaking in a new pair of boots last weekend I happened to stop off to wish my Mother a happy Mother's Day. While there, my father had a look at my second pair of boots (Merrill Moabs) and proceeded to show me how to tie them! This involves a 'new' knot that Mom has apparently used for over 30 years. Now you have to understand that just like most everyone else I have tied my shoes and boots in the same manner for about half a century and now someone is telling me that I've been doing this all wrong! I don't wish to sound ungrateful, but this goes all the way back to before kindergarten with many hikes up and down various mountains, numerous sporting activities plus every day shoe based activities.I mean...if this new knot is so superior, then why didn't they originally teach this to me? I'd have been so much further ahead today.
In any event I'm prepared to consider a change...after all one doesn't wish to be seen to be too set in their ways. That said, I believe that a potential adjustment of this magnitude requires careful consideration and assessment, so...I've started to use the new knot on my left boot and my tried and true double knot on the right boot.

I've walked ~40kms since the new knot with mixed results. When I want to take my boots off the left one comes undone faster and easier than the right boot, BUT the new knot is taking me longer to tie. In fairness, my novice standing probably weighs heavily here. When starting long walks, its not unusual for me to stop 2 or even 3 times to re-set and re-tie my boots. This of course has the potential to cause a cumulative time delay as we cross Spain...Annemarie may be unimpressed! However, one could argue that the quick release feature of the new knot will more than off-set these delays.

Dad will probably prove correct (as usual) about Mom's knot, but I don't want to be too quick to agree...after all, I'm not a kid any more. I'll continue to assess, and if there seems any point I'll report further. In the mean time I'll work on my knot tying technique:)

No comments:

Post a Comment