Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Marsalform, Gozo Island, Malta: hot and very windy, 28

Headlands and Villages

Today was a travel day. We returned to the main island of Malta and bused to Rabat/Mdina where we will stay u till we fly out to Ireland late Thursday. We'd hoped to walk the trails here, but with Annemarie's injury this won't be possible. She's slowly healing and with the help of her meds she had a fairly easy transit today. It may well be a hamstring tear, and if this is the casa then the healing time is typically 4-6 weeks. Physio and massage when we return home.

Yesterday as a front blew past (grey with some rain today) I did have the opportunity to walk one of the trails we'd identified before leaving home. It was a pretty nice feeling to walk somewhere new again, particularly knowing that we will soon be home to more familiar grounds. As I started to climb out of town, I paused to look back. You can see the pier where Annemarie had her tumble. Had the waves been up the day before yesterday as they were today then we never would have walked out there. Only the dive lessons were operating from there.

The pass started of pretty nicely.



Slowly in places the path became little more than a goat trail and I realized my aging sandles that have been on multiple travels and all my Caminos were now well past their best before date. They provided poor footing when I reached gritty descents and roach slide areas. I note to replace them when I return home.

At one point I met two German walkers who had decided to turn around, warning that the trail deteriorated further along. I was having a good time and after saying goodbye, pressed on. It really was a beautiful day and I was very much in the mood.



The information was accurate and I ended up sliding my way down from the first headland as there was precious little purchase, but I was rewarded with a flower that I'm pretty sure I've never come across before. Very delicate and there was just the one small plant.

At the bottom of my skidding descent I found a beautiful shore line.

Also a 'bed' of jellyfish which oddly lodged themselves to the rocks and waited for the tide to come in. Tide to come in? I know that there is realatively no tide on the Med, so I'm not really too sure how they got there or why. There must be more tide than I thought.

As I climbed up towards the next headland I stopped for the view...

...a couple of times.

There were many friends along the way, not as Ken describes when he walks in known territory, but they kept me company. No snakes:)

I know that my walking buddies will confirm that the mind can wander when walking and as I went along I was giving some notice to the trail, but then it suddenly ended at a cliff edge. I shot this after moving back away from the edge. Damn I like a good scare!

I backtracked and realized that I had to scramble up a steep almost wall like headland along same cliff face. I started up without really thinking it through and by the time I was half way up I was using both feet and hands to climb. To top it off the wind was howling from behind me towards the cliff. Obviously loving heights as I do, I have no photos, but from the top away from the cliff face I did take a shot back, though it doesn't do it justice. Got my heart going for sure!

Looking out the other direction.

As I approached the beach in the distance I happened upon a group of German ladies who were, shall we say, preparing for the sun. They obviously had not expected company to arrive from my direction. I find the Europeans in general less fussy about this sort of thing, but I'm not European. So a brief hello and I moved quickly onwards. No photos.

I was walking to this beach to see if it might be possible for Annemarie to soak there, but seeing that the surf was up and no one was swimming I decided to use my hard won experiences and abandon the trail before the descent and dead recon my way upwards along a goat path hoping to cut a road that I could walk back to town on. I was also hoping to avoid a long climb out from the beach up to a town. A good lesson from Sicily!

I lucked out and thus began a very enjoyable walk through a series of villages where the natives were very chatty and friendly. A few photos as I went.

Caitlin. For you. Something for us to strive for!

The signage wasn't much help.

And for a moment I thought maybe this was Japan!

But then I found a grocery and bought supplies for happy hour with Annemarie, and Rob, a favourite Invierno drink cause it was hot and I was thirsty.



Hill top fortresses in the distance. Neil, there were windmills here too.





Then one last chat with this old fella and I was home.

Time for our supper. Annemarie is waiting!




4 comments:

  1. That was quite a walk. What a beautiful flower you found. I hope you said hello to the gecko you met. It's only neighbourly!

    I'm sorry that Annemarie wasn't able to walk with you. But, as you say, she'll be fine soon.

    Enjoy your supper.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ken. Yes, wasn't that an amazing flower?! Very interesting.

      Yes, I'm a quite friendly walker so all animal life usually gets a word. Cows particularly (they always look at you like they have something to say) but also chickens, horses, cats, dogs, geckos, snakes, birds, unicorns...

      Delete
  2. Glad to know I’m not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m pretty impressed with your head landing, Geoff. I know you hate heights, and heights with wnd is a scary combination. You’d have no worries with heights out here in La Mancha. It’s hard to find a tall tree, let alone a cliff, Malta looks drier than Sicily, is that your sense of it?

    ReplyDelete