Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Strathcona Park, Vancouver Island, Day 2, Hot, 31

'Smokin Hot'

An apparent shortage of fuel for our vehicle 'drove' us to head back towards the west coast where we decided to walk the Centennial Trail and the Elk Falls Trail, conveniently connected to each other. At 17 kms not a particularly long walk, but there were a few ups and downs along the way to add a bit of variety. It was a very hot 31 degree day and with outflow winds predicted to push the heavy smoke from the interior BC fires in our direction we figured it was best to not push ourselves to hike to any meaningful elevations today. The walk we selected was often in the shade of the forest, so manageable given the circumstances. The Parks folks claimed there were some sections of 'old growth' forests, but I think the area was previously logged at some point, though the trees were very impressive. 

The Elk Falls were stunning with a steep drop off a cliff after the upper falls and narrow channel.

I really enjoyed the way the light played on the maple leaves that found their way into the forest canopy. Stunning greens that reminded me of the same scenes in Japan as I walked into Spring. I never really noticed how the colours can stay vibrant well into the hot season. Or perhaps it was just the play of light?
We walked further  up towards the lake outlet and found a couple of beautiful falls which I did my best to capture with the use of a log to stabilize my camera.


On the return leg we came from the upstream side of Elk Falls and we enjoyed the surge of water as it pushed past our rocky position. I was able to walk fairly close to the edge to capture the last moments before the water disappeared.


We wandered on down the trail and found some pretty cool views. 

I thought it was a surprisingly long way back up to the suspension bridge. I know this wouldn't bother my pal Neil, but I would be a little challenged by this.

We completed the Elk Falls circuit and continued on to the Centennial Trail. The smoke from the interior BC fires began to arrive about this time and it was immediately noticeable. The CT began a steady decent through a beautiful forest.


Another high bridge to cross...steady myself, prepare and then cross!
Down a long series of stairs...2017, without doubt, The Year of the Stairs. I'm still sick of stairs!!
We arrive at a beautiful trail which follows Campbell River downstream for several kilometres. Lots of fisher person types.
We cross the river and hike back upstream and across the dam thinking that its been a pretty good day. We met a few interesting folks along the way and found another series of good walking trails for future reference. More places to take friends when they visit our country.

On the way back up to Strathcona Park I stopped to take a look down Buttle Lake, just as I had that morning. The morning photo...
The afternoon photo...

Since then, it's of course become much worse. At home we didn't have a sunset for about four days. This was the first one, and with my binoculars I could see the sun spots. 

We finished our day with a dip in the lake. Somehow it seemed like the lake was warmer than it was the day before. Is that possible?





2 comments:

  1. I love the suspension bridge! Can't get over how green everything is and how much water is around after spending the last few weeks in some of our drier desert country. I'm disappointed there are no bear shots. I had an interesting encounter with a western brown snake in central Oz - one of our deadliest (but hey we have heaps of them!) I thought of you, Geoff, and of the time we walked along the Murrumbidgee River here in Canberra. This brown was living under my friend's verandah so we needed to capture him and relocate. We managed it, but for a time I was left pinning him down with a shovel while we waited for the 'snake man' to arrive. Needless to say, he wasn't so impressed about the shovel (the same that is). Sorry to hear about those fires and hoping they are sorted soon. Best, Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was meant to be 'snake' not 'same'. Can I blame that on auto correct??

    ReplyDelete