Friday, October 2, 2015

Stage 15: Lascabanes - Lauzerte, 24 kms, cloud with sun, a nice 23. Thursday Sept 3, 2015

Landscape & Texture

Yesterday we stayed in a small gite just outside town. As gites go it was fairly basic. However, what made it a real joy were the people we shared our evening with...or is that, shared their evening with us?
As I've said before, the French folks that I've met on this journey have gone above and beyond to be inclusive, insuring that I am part of the evening conversation. Last night was over the top as they all decided that Geoff was going to speak French all evening so that he could learn. It was pretty difficult, but highly entertaining for everyone else! At the end of 'class' they asked where we were staying tonight. We told them the name of our gite and they all smiled and advised me that the lesson would continue tonight and to come prepared...sigh. Great fun. I think?

Today we woke to find grey skies and that it had rained in the night. We set off and as I walked I thought to myself that the photos would be so much better if I just had a little sun. After all there was nothing really breath taking today in the terms of sights to be seen. However as I walked along I began to notice the landscape. I mean, really notice. The trail has become smooth enough that for the most part I don't have to watch where I put my feet much of the time. This freed my eyes to have a real look at what I passed. I started to see patterns.




We arrived at the town of Montcuq where we took our morning break, something that has only started since Annemarie arrived. I think that I haven't practiced this in the past 47 stages I've walked solo. Mostly because there wasn't too many opportunities. Seems there are now and that we are stopping!
A pretty hill town and a good place to rest.
Seemingly making some progress. What's left is almost as far as I walked last year, (plus the 365-385kms already walked, plus some extra 100 kms for planned variants). I guess that makes it a number not really worth contemplating at this point. So I won't. I've learned that it's simply a moment, a stage, a day as I walk. Each moment passes by never to be captured again, just as the landscapes do. I look at them keenly knowing that I'll never pass this way again. Burned into my memory with the simple process of capturing an image with my camera. Never then forgotten. Later I'll play them over again as I walk at home on the same old, same old trails. New trails and vistas is part of what makes this process so special.
Then we headed back out into the hills. Again the textures were there.









Home tonight. A medieval hill town. Time to go have a look at this gem! 
Sorry about all the photos today, but it's the only way I thought you could see a bit of what I saw today.

A couple of other moments from the day.


Hey Cindy. No one said it had to be a sober sort of place every day! I know you like to laugh...can hear you right now!

Bon Chemin!

No comments:

Post a Comment