Sunday, June 1, 2014

Stage 20: Zamora to Granja de Moreruela, 41 kms, 8 hrs, 25C, Sunny with strong head winds

Learning to Share the Road:

A long road today. I made the decision to put some space in between myself and the glut of peregrinos which surfaced in Zamora yesterday. We figure all the folks who started in Salamanca and Zamora have pooled, including many more cyclists than previously seen. It was a long stage, but I think it will pay off as I caught up with Didier and I also arrived at the spot where I will leave the Via de la Plata and finally turn westward as I join the Camino Sanabres which will take me to Santiago. I also passed the 600 kilometre point at some time during the day...a nice milestone.

The morning sunrise is actually that golden light provided by the sunrise...
And before I forget, today's post is dedicated to my pals David and Rob, both who I first worked with too many years ago in Vancouver...David because he provided me with alll the Beatles music that I listen to, sang along with and whistled to as I walked today, and Rob because he enjoys the photos of the long distance road shots...there were many today. Thought of you both as I walked.

The walk today, as per the title is learning to share again...the road that is. I haven't had to do that since I left Sevilla. There were many cyclists today riding in groups...each to their own, but I still don't understand the spirituality of riding in a group at speed. They fly past and scare the crap out of me as they go past...no bells to ring.

Then there were the farm vehicles...they take up the whole road...I took this from the ditch!
Then there was the road and rail construction that mucked up the road...it was in quite a few places and really messed up the Plata route. Another reason I walked so far today. Sunday there are no workers so I just crossed the construction zones as needed without taking the long detours.
Then I had to share with the water because the reservoirs are so high at this time of the year the trail is actually underwater until the summer. So a detour to the road and the bridge is required! You can see the road entering the lake on the far side and exiting where the car is parked. Didier told me he got lost here and added an extra 4 kms to his day...I told him that he's a slow learner after all this time!
And if all this wasn't bad enough I had to share with Snow White and her little guys....not sure what they were doing here?
I also shared with some more sheep, and actually had a very pleasant exchange with the shepard, an old fellow with a beautiful dog. We all know my history on the subject, but here is one of those massive ram type sheep that I encountered much further south...could have been his brother!

As promised, a few photos for Rob to enjoy...


Then just when I think I've had a full day a 12th C castle shows up which was the old capital of Leon's kingdom and the seat of the St. James knights order. It was actually pretty cool, but if they though I had the legs for a visit at that point they were sadly mistaken.

A long day, lots of activity and now I need to find some food and sort myself out for tomorrow. 

Buen Camino

3 comments:

  1. Hi Geoff: It was great to spype with you yesterday morning and then to read your blog today and learn that you were able to complete that extra long hike to Granja de Moreruela and "get ahead of the crowd" . Since talking to you yesterday, we spent the afternoon getting the boat ready for summer cruising, had lunch with Don and Kati on their return from Vancouver where all went well at the Trade Convention, stopped to see Caitlin and Bryan and pick up the delinquent weed - eater which I will look at today and also had a nice conversation with Kathy in the evening. Nice sunny weather here but I must admit I am not getting up early enough to send you a picture of our sunrise coming up over Smugglers Cove but I am sure it is very beautiful!!! Hope you have a good dinner tonight - a good sleep to follow and and don't have anymore trouble with the friendly four legged critters in that part of the world on your walk tomorrow. Cheers Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suddenly, with all the new pilgrims, the VdlP turned into the Camino Francés. . . .

    Lovely photographs, as usual. Too bad you were too beat to explore the castle, but 41 km! You are covering a lot of ground very quickly.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Geoff, I am with you with the cyclists. Bells would be polite. However what I don't get is the spiritual need to drive the Camino in a farm excavator! Walk on...Don

    ReplyDelete