Friday, July 12, 2013

Wise Decisions...

I stood at the top of the hill overlooking Cadboro Bay and thought longingly of walking down the hill to the beach to drink in the glorious summer view....and then I headed back through to Mystic Vale, which is flatish, and enjoyed the dappled sunlight streaming through the trees. I am not someone who does well with restrictions, nor have I previously had an injury of this sort. With fibromyalgia chronic pain ebbs and flows, and in my experience letting the discomfort impose restrictions on my mobility really has no benefit. With this injury the opposite was true - rest and gradually re-building were the order of the day, and no down hill treks until I could feel confident no further damage would occur - so my first wise decision was not to walk down the hill to the beach.

I would say I am now 98% recovered, and I have been down the hill with no ill effect this week. My next wise decision will likely be tougher ... I’ve decided not to walk the first climb up to Roncevalles (in the Pyrenees). My doctor, massage therapist, and physio (not to mention Geoff, co-workers, etc.) all think this is wise...and I know it is too, but on that second day when I watch Geoff set off on the trail with his pack while I head to the bus, I know it will be tough. However, just as my recovery has seen steady progress, through my earlier decision, this decision will greatly increase my chances of successfully completing the rest of the walk. Our original plan was to leave from Pamplona, (a few days down the road) and Geoff is happy that he will be able to send some of his stuff with me to our second night’s stop. All of this is supporting the decision I’ve made, but not really making it any easier. Publishing this as my intent is another way of ensuring I will stick with my decision and will remind me, why it makes sense. Who knew that at my advanced age making a wise decision would be so tough?

PS…Of course Annemarie’s brave commitment not to hike over the Pyrenees clearly commits me…sigh. However, it will be nice to send 1 or 2 kilos of stuff along with her on the bus. It will be a long climb that day complete with jet lag, but I’m hoping for a little sun and clear skies to enjoy the views and will try to take a few photos to share with Annemarie over a glass of vino at dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment