Friday, October 2, 2015

Stage 13: Cabrerets - Cahors, 36kms, Hot, 33. Sunday Aug 30/15

Surprise!!!

Frankly, I haven't been very happy about missing our 35th wedding anniversary since I was sorting out my route at home. I know Annemarie said it was ok, and that she would still be in transit to Cahors, but it didn't sit right with me. And I know that she likes to celebrate things on the day they happen. I thought about this over dinner last night (Ken, that's a fantastic fish soup...so good!!!)
So late last night, or was it very early this morning?
I made the decision to walk to the nearest connection point and catch a bus to Cahors. Annemarie arrives on the train from Paris at 19:00 and I'll be there to meet her...in just 3 hours! 

The day started with a spectacular breakfast at the little hotel I stayed in last night. There were eggs to boil yourself, all sorts of breads and raison/cinnamon buns, juices, yogurts and leafed tea! I walked out of the hotel with a cinnie bun in my hand.
Walked past the usual daily church,
and commenced the now usual steep climb out of which ever ville I happen to be in for the night.
I think I'm becoming half mountain goat...my calves and thighs will never be the same again! There wasn't much to see as I passed over the hump, but when I descended to the road the scenery actually picked up nicely as I walked along the Lot River on the road.
It was a Sunday morning and there was actually quite a bit of traffic zipping along. Now folks have been very friendly along the way when they see that I'm walking le Chemin, but today they were honking, waving and giving me thumbs up signals as they sped by. It was pretty inspiring! It's that sort of response that gives one a boost. 

I arrived at Bouzies and found the bus stop outside town at the end of the bridge into town. Now this bridge is pretty cool. It's a one lane suspension bridge that bounced as I walked across it. Imagine being in a car!
Bouzies. A bit of a tourist centre I think judging from the boats tied up along the river. I think you can barge hire along here. I'll have to investigate this when I return home.
I had to wait my turn on the way back as a vintage car group crossed against me.

Always something happening isn't there? That's a caravan mid-span.
Waiting for my bus...
And I did feel weird leaving le Chemin on a bus, even for a short ride.
The only other time I did this was on the Plata, but that was for a medical reason. However, I've travelled solo about 335 kms without a break over 13 stages and so I guess it's ok. Certainly the reason I chose to do so is important to me. Of course, you just watch. When Annemarie comes in tonight on the train she will see me and say that she's not surprised to see me at all! It's so hard to surprise that woman!!! Grrrrrr:-)

I washed my clothes...it took four sessions in the sink to get rid of the sweat, grim and whatever! Just filthy, and I've washed out my walking stuff most every night. 
I've also shaved for the first time in days and had the first nap since I started walking...what was that about? Guess my body and mind realized that this is a rest stop. We will spend tomorrow walking around this nice town and just hanging out. Jacques will arrive on Tuesday in time for lunch before he heads towards Quebec. Looking forward to seeing him. He's been a good buddy on the way.
I will post this late. If there is any chance to surprise Annemarie I have to wait! More tomorrow. By the way, the shave is my anniversary gift to Annemarie. I know, nothing special, but she won't want to carry anything extra. There would be flowers too, but it's Sunday, and this is France. All shut down. I guess a nice dinner in a French restaurant with a clean shaved, and showered husband isn't too bad. It will have to do! Peter and Dave, there is a red Michelin restaurant sign on the door of our hotel. Wonder what's on the menu tonight?

Bon Chemin from a resting pelerin:-) Two days off! Fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment