Friday, October 2, 2015

Rest Day Cahors: Hot & Muggy, 33 Monday Aug 31/15

Pelerin to Tourist

Annemarie arrives. Did I surprise her? Perhaps. She knows me well after all these years and said she was worried that I would walk the whole way in yesterday. I'm saving myself. Should I walk the 1,600kms+ to Santiago, I'll need these feet!
We went out for a simple meal, then Annemarie was off to sleep to try and get the jet webs out of her brain. She tells me she is doing really well, but as I write this she is napping, something she essentially never does;-)
Today was all about visiting the two main sights...the Pont Valentre and the Cathedral Saint Etienne, in that order. Cahors was established on a major bow in the Lot River, meaning it is protected by water on three sides with a major wall built on the landward side. In the Middle Ages there was only one bridge access to the town which of course would be the Pont Valentre.
We crossed the bridge and will cross it again as we resume Le Chemin which will be a special way to leave this town. There are three towers which were used to defend the bridge, arrow slots and all.

We stopped for a time to watch a rented boat navigate the lock. I had heard my Uncle Geoff explain the procedure years ago on his and my Aunt Mary's return from England. So I understood the process, but I'm not clear that the captain of this boat did as he raced into the lock far too fast and ended up crashing into the side and almost turning sideways.
Fortunately he had a good crew who put things to right and began the process of moving the boat downstream as el Captain sat on top looking at his map and shouting orders, though I was pretty sure that he didn't have much of a clue!
An interesting process, and in spite of the Captain, the crew did manage to get the boat through the process. I now understand the reason for the permenant bumpers! 

A short way up the road we found a small older bridge close to where a water course flowed out from the limestone wall. Neil and Sarah, this is your day!!
As we continued along our shore walk we came to another bridge where the local chapter has a house on the bridge for pelerin welcomes, refreshments and really cold water!! 
Very nice and we purchased Annemarie's credential here.
The bridge that you walk into town on the GR65.
I met a number of my fellow walkers here and in town today. Most were continuing through town and I felt a real loss as my cohort passed on as I know that I will not catch some of these folks again. I can easily catch up a one day gap, but two is more difficult. That said, I knew this would happen when I invited Annemarie to join me here, I just wasn't expecting my response." DON'T GO ON WITHOUT US!!!" It's ok, I'm better now:-)
A quick stop to check the menu where we have a dinner reservation tonight to celebrate our anniversary. 
Then on to the Cathedral. Quite an unusual Romanesque structure. I have only seen one other more unusual than this and that was in Eastern Europe in a small town.
Sort of a Byzantine look to it don't you think Erin? 

Inside was pretty good. One of the better on the trip so far, for a large church that is.
The rear dome.

Great stained glass. Old,
And new.

Then off for lunch.
Apparently my companion thinks I am looking a bit too thin after two weeks pounding across the Massif Central. After I shaved my face and had a look in the mirror it was hard to argue. So I eat...lots for the next two days:-). Funny, I was told I'd gain weight in France and loose it again in Spain? It will all even out as we have a flatter route with kinder hills until the Pyrenees. 

Hope to see Jacques tomorrow and then walk on the next day after all the forecaste thunder and rain storms pass. Better walking days in the low 20's on the horizon which makes Annemarie a happy camper!

Bon Chemin!

No comments:

Post a Comment