Friday, October 2, 2015

Stage 12: Brengues - Cabrerets, 30kms, Very Hot, 35 (3). Saturday Aug 29/15

It Wasn't Supposed To Be Like This!

First of all my friends, I feel as badly as you that I can't post any photos. I think that things will change in a day or two and then I'll go back and put the photos into the various stages. At minimum I will have access to Annemarie's iPad, so thanks for waiting. I have heard from a number of you about this technical problem. I have some nice photos to share and would very much like to do so too!  Now I can! And I have added photos to the prior two posts.
Today was blistering hot...a scotcher indeed! My trusty little thermometer charted 35 and I felt every bit of it! I'm drinking local water everywhere. This farmer left water out for walkers...its behind the sign! Just leave a few coins.
I poured some over my head after a refill of my water system!

Lots of climbing today and some amazing views of the limestone cliffs and the troglodyte buildings.
These are abodes where there is a facade across the mouth of a cave with the living area in the cave and for all intents it looks like a house. They are often still occupied.

Last night at the Gite, it felt more like I was staying in someone's personal home.
In fact I was, but his friends were staying here as well and they invited other people to dinner. So we all sat outside on the deck overlooking the valley and the cliff walls.
The food and drink were excellent and we had a great time as the moon found its way up over the valley. Claude's friends are noted cave divers and were in the area for that reason. So I had lots to ask about the karst in the area and learned a little along the way.
Mostly French spoken at the table, but from time to time I was able to follow along. A moon rise over the cliffs too!
Today Jacques and I had a Gite booked, but when I arrived I didn't get a very good feel for the owner. He told me that I would have to sit out in the heat for almost 2 hours until the Gite officially opened. He didn't offer me a drink, and when I asked him for water he asked me if I had something to put it in. 35 degrees and no offer of water! I've learned in my travels that when things don't feel right, simply leave and go find anther bed. So that's exactly what I did. I later connected with Jacques and he came in late, but fully understood my decision. We plan to reconnect for lunch on Tuesday in Cahors, where he will leave le Chemin.

I walked down the road 4kms further along the river to the town of Cabrerets and called a couple of places, but all were full. I finally connected with a nice lady who said she was looking out her door, but couldn't see me! The town is pretty small.
I walked to her hotel, but they were full too, but they managed to arrange a small private room in a Gite. So I have a bed and a roof tonight, complete with a view over the river! Very simple place, but the shower has water and I stood under the very cold water for a full 15 minutes cooling off. Splendid!!!

Just spoke with Annemarie as she is now in Paris and will transit this way tomorrow arriving at 19:00. I have two short days planned as my feet need some time to heal and I'm hoping the rest day in Cahors will fix them up. I've never had this problem on Camino, so new territory for me. At least Annemarie has the new shoe inserts with her, so hopefully I'll get things in line again soon. Always new experiences when we walk, but I could have done without this one.

A few more photos from the day....I'll soon try to transfer the other days posts over here and add photos.



Happy 35th wedding anniversary Annemarie. I really wish we could have spent it together, but we will celebrate in Cahors on Monday. Looking forward to that!

A happy camper again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment