Friday, August 21, 2015

Stage 4: St. Alban to Aumont Aubrac, 15kms, 2.5 hours, Sun! 27

It's Aways About the Walk, But Sometimes It's Also About 'The Talk'!

A comparatively short walk today so I wasn't away until about 8:30...I know tres bad, but I had to wait for breakfast anyway! So that means I missed the sunrise. My apologies! I thought that I would start with a few photos from St. Alban as I usually post the blog then go see the town which often means that photos of the places I stay don't make it into the blog. A shame because some of the town's are pretty nice. So, here's St. Alban...

End of the day!
My gite as I departed this morning. Yup, pretty nice even if you could roll a marble down the floor in my room! The evening last night was wonderful. I arrived into the restaurant for dinner and was directed to sit with a very nice couple from Normandy, and to my surprise he spoke some English. How nice was that!? We conversed all the way through dinner and even looked at a few photos of our children. Actually it was all about Madam's eyes. An amazing blue that is apparently common along the NW coast of France. Of course this led to the colour of my children's eyes...that dominant Dutch blue that is so amazing. Anyway, once we were finished examining eyes and discussing many things they left and in walked Mea from Switzerland with two German women who I apparently zipped by on that foggy morning a couple of days ago. Mea and I walked together for a time previously and we discussed everything Camino before I departed. With a few jumps to shorten the process she is in the process of walking from Zurich to Santiago. Wow! 83 stages planned. 

The meal last night was amazing! Three courses and each one delivered by the restaurant chef with descriptions and details. Nice to see someone that passionate about their work. We ate regional specialties and were well stuffed at the end!!
Today I set out on my own and found my way up the first steep slope where it was pretty darn nice. As I've done each day, and will continue to do each day as I walk this journey is to follow a Camino tradition and leave a stone at a special spot with thoughts for some one specific. This trip it will be for our close friend Cindy of 40 years who is on her own personal journey to fight the cancer which has returned yet again for the third time. Inner strength Cindy, inner strength my friend.
(I have no wifi and just lost everything...such is life). Let it go...

As I walked onwards I met up with several acquaintances and stopped for short chats and moved on as is my usual practice. At some point I became involved with my camera and the landscapes and missed a turn. No problem as I eventually made a lucky choice and found my way back. The results of my distraction...
I had to lay down on the road for this one.

Anyway, at some point I found my way back onto the trail and as I did I heard my name called and turned to see that Demis from Lyon was calling me. As is typical on the Camino the reunion was spontaneous and heartfelt. Friendships form very quickly, and as I've come to learn, some of them stick for a very long time, ergo, Neil & Sarah, Ken, Peter, David and others. One of the reasons I enjoy doing what I do now...meeting unique people with a common interest.

Demis and Jacque from Quebec City and I shared a room and a number of meals together a couple of days ago then went our separate ways. Demis returns to Lyon today and Jacque and I have booked a gite together two days from now, and I think it's his turn to buy the beer:-)  Demis speaks no English, but that didn't seem a problem as we set off together. We started to chat a little and exchanged ages and detailed our family situations. However we were interrupted by a series of sharp hills which allowed us to only travel single file. It must have been quite funny to watch these two old fellas behaving like kids. Demis is 52 (ok, I'm the old fella) and once he found out I was his senior I think there was no way that he was going to let me pull away from him on the climbs. It was pretty funny, some might think sad, but you had to be there. At the top of the third climb, both of us sweating profusely we stopped and looked at each other and burst into laughter! Then off we went at a more sedate pace talking and laughing. As I've found so far the French are encouraging me to speak their language without judgement. It's been amazing and a continuation of what began for me walking with Didier on the Plata. Inhibitions gone, it was anything goes. A very personable person, Demis was very chatty and a pleasure to walk with. He plans to follow this blog so I'm unfortunately forced to say nice things about him here;-) ah, but then again he speaks no English!
This family had two donkeys, and when I tried to suggest that perhaps there was a place for my pack I was firmly, but kindly rebuked by Madame. One can't blame one for trying! I need to get me a donkey!!
As we approached town we stopped for a few photos...

before proceeding to the bar to celebrate the end of Demis' walk. It was just after 11:00.
We found my gite, said our goodbyes and the only thing that was washed besides me was my filthy hat! Down the drain went the grim and sweat from many hot days on the Plata, our trip to NZ, Oz and Bali and numerous other walks. It's looking a little pale and sad as it dries, but it will look a tad better in some of my selfies going forward, no longer a personal statement. However, still showing immense experience! Bon chapeau!
One of the very special things I like about solo travel is the opportunity to meet so many other people on neutral ground. One person is always more approachable and open to discussion and interaction. That said, I love travelling with Annemarie and we will reconnect in just 11 more days...11 more stages!
You must be getting excited Love!?

Bon Chemin 

2 comments:

  1. I like the picture of the artisanal beer. And the hat. What are you going to do with the rest of your day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there you rev head - slow down on them there hills!

    Sounds like another good day with plenty of time at the end for mooching around... and washing hats!!

    We gathered a few friends for a 'salon' last night. i.e. some soup and a round table sharing of poetry. It was fun. So, we're in the mood for a bit of verse and thought we'd share some with you, our wayfaring friend.

    Appropriately, a few lines from Walt Whitman's 'Song of the Open Road' (with a soupçon
    of French!)

    'Afoot and light hearted I take to the open road,
    healthy, free, the world before me
    the long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose....

    ... I think whatever I shall meet on the road I shall like, and whoever beholds me shall like me,
    I think whoever I see must be happy....

    ...Allons! The road is before us!

    Bon chemin pèlerin

    Neil and Sarah

    ReplyDelete